Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Fountain of Juice

Great grub springs eternal from The Fountain of Juice

by Molly Wilkins

Out of Five Stars:
Service: 5
Food: 4.75
Atmosphere: 4.5
BFYB: 3.75

Macon’s newest lunch hot spot is “The Fountain of Juice”. What I love most about may not even be the food but the atmosphere, the fact that I can go in and talk to everyone. I only frequent places where I feel like I am treated special. But not only do they make ME feel like this, I can tell that everyone gets the same kind of specialized attention here, which is probably why it’s always so busy. Brittany Poole is always quick to say hello and can carry on a conversation with anyone about anything. Owner Natasha Philips, daughter of world-famous Natalia del Basso-Orsini, is there every day, interacting with customers as they create tasty delights. Her husband Carl’s work isn’t just behind the counter—those are his paintings on the walls!

By now, I’ve eaten just about everything there it seems—this was not nearly my first visit there. They offer a wide variety of sandwiches, smoothies, and even casseroles to take home. In the past I have gotten the sandwich with the slice of pear in it, I wouldn’t ordinarily pick something like that except that Brittany convinced me. She also convinced me, on this occasion, to get the roast beef, and my husband got the California club. I’m not much of a roast beef eater, in fact I generally stay away from it, however this was amazing. The roast beef was sliced so thinly, and cooked just right, at slightly over medium well. My husband really enjoyed the turkey paired with the avocado in the California club.

They try to use all natural products, and organic as much as possible, which of course will make your price higher. I’d say for any other lunch spot they are about average, if maybe not a little higher in price. For me however, it’s worth it because I feel good about going there. (If my cupcake is all natural then it doesn’t seem so bad that it taste so darn good.) FOJ makes getting good taste good. For example: try a smoothie. Brittany slipped me a sample of the strawberry-banana smoothie. (This is also a good example of how they make you feel special—they’re always offering you samples of other stuff so you always leave stuffed!)

The strawberry-banana smoothie is great. (Editor’s note: So is the Mon Cherie!) I also like the “de-tox special”. Some of that could be because I like the idea of “de-toxing” my system. The last time I got it, Brittany suggested adding the protein to it so that it would “stay with me the rest of the day”. It was really good, I was hesitant about adding vanilla-flavored protein to the pineapple and pomegranate in the de-tox smoothie, but it worked out. Better than I thought, even.

You might see a theme here: If you don’t know what to get: ask Brittany. Of course Natasha and Carl have good suggestions as well, but Brittany is usually the first to encounter you when walking in. Remember: FOJ is in a small space, but the word is that they’ll soon be expanding into the space to be vacated by neighboring Fitness Firm. Until then, I would advise everyone to go early or prepare to be cramped.

No comments: